Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Book Review
The Great Gatsby was not a typical novel in that it is hard to make out clear protagonists and antagonists as well as conflicts and resolutions. Daisy can be said to be a love interest or the conflict of the story entirely. Gatsby is revealed to be a villain of sorts, but still represents the carefree, rich man people like Nick admire. I did not enjoy the story as the time period was hard to connect to as well as the very film-noir style of story never seemed very believable to me. The overall story and dull ending were both pretty bland, though Gatsby’s being involved in a boot-legging business grabbed my attention for a good chunk of the story. While having the occasional plot twist and interesting moment I still would not recommend Fitzgerald’s interesting concoction to the average modern reader.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you in the fact that it is not easy to understand who in the story is a protagonist or an antagonist, Fitzgerald doesn't seem to make each character either one. I believe that the mystery of that is what makes the story interesting, you don't know what is coming up until it actually happens. I disagree in the fact that it is hard to relate, I feel like this story is written in a way that our generation can comprehend for the most part. The mystery in the kind of business that Gatsby is involved in just draws the reader in even more. I personally believe that the story is an exciting and interesting read but I also respect your opinion.
ReplyDeletePersonally I think that Tom and Daisy were the antagonists of the story, when nick calls them "careless people," since a protagonist is a novel's central character, it is Nick since he is narrating the story and experiencing it the entire time. I do not really understand how Gatsby is a "villain of some sorts," he never does anything morally wrong throughout the entire story.I also think you could have explained why the story wasn't "believable," i can see how it would be difficult to relate to but the time period was very real and the lifestyles that the main characters lead were very typical of the time period. Your blog was very straightforward and your opinions were interesting, if you had elaborated on them more I think it would have been easier to see your perspective.
ReplyDelete